Founded in Melbourne in 1918 by Otto Yuncken and Lauritz Hansen, Hansen Yuncken has grown steadily in stature as a respected builder of major construction projects.
The company has retained the tradition of quality and business integrity established by the founding partners, although the faces and methods have changed over the years.
Commonwealth Trading Bank, Corner Liverpool and Elizabeth Streets, Hobart, 1949-1954
Hansen Yuncken make its first expansion interstate in 1937 when it commenced building the T&G Office in Hobart. The company established a branch office in that building once it was completed, and sought other work in the state. In 1941, Hansen Yuncken was contracted to build the Ovaltine factory for Wenden & Co. at Spreyton, south of Devonport.
Like all the Tasmanian projects, Otto Yuncken took a keen interest in the Ovaltine factory, flying to Devonport for fortnightly site visits on the recently established Australian National Airways.
While the four-storey factory and its tall chimney were built using traditional materials and methods - brick and concrete, timber hoists, frames and scaffolds - it represented Hansen Yuncken's embrace of new transport technologies which enabled it to take on projects in other states that could be administered from the head office in Melbourne.