Founded in Melbourne in 1918 by Otto Yuncken and Lauritz Hansen, Hansen Yuncken has grown steadily in stature as a respected builder of major construction projects.
The company has retained the tradition of quality and business integrity established by the founding partners, although the faces and methods have changed over the years.
Bill Shields (Foreman, right) with C Mailer (Manager, Cox Bros), E Richardson (Manager HY Tasmania) and Sir Frank Richardson (Managing Director of Cox Bros) overseeing the building of Cox Bros Department Store (now Myer), Launceston, Tasmania, 1961.
We love the hard hats!
Looking back, it is apparent that construction of the Stock Exchange Building in Melbourne, which commenced in 1965, and the Royal Hobart Hospital, which began the following year, occurred on the cusp of a building technology revolution. Both projects combined the use of traditional equipment such as stiff-legged cranes for materials handling and new technologies such as precast panels, Favco cranes, electric passenger and materials hoists and concrete trucks, which were only just making their way on to building sites.
In 1966 Hansen Yuncken won the contract to build AMP's headquarters in Adelaide's King William Street, designed by architects Woods Bagot ($6.693m).